Followers

Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Sixth Grade Essay... Wow!

The most influential experience that I have of my writing experiences is when I was reassured that I was good at it in the sixth grade. The assignment was to make a story about a day in my life. The assignment was all too convenient for me. I loved talking about my life at that age as well as making my own stories. The biggest part of the reassurance was that I was allowed to use poetry; my first literary love! I had so much fun with the assignment from beginning to end.
Though I had experienced my first challenge with what is called writer’s block, I used some writing strategy skills that my dad helped me with along the way. “Walk away from the paper for thirty to forty minutes before you wreck your brain” he said. He also added that while I walked away I should do something to my liking to take my mind off of the assignment. So I realized that the more I did while away from the assignment, the more that I would have to write about. This made doing things and taking note of them very important to my composition.
As a result I found things to do; I helped my mom clean the kitchen, watched television for enough time to catch the end of my favorite show, and I cleaned my room to perfection. “Hey”, I thought to myself, “this assignment is going to turn out great”. After all I had all of the body of my assignment, now to make it interesting I would go in to detail about what I had done. The smallest detail can change the whole feeling to a story is what I was always told.
Once I had finished I had my dad listen to my story. He said that he knew it would get a great review from my teacher. I went into school the next day and proved him right. I received an letter A on the assignment. I was even the only kid to be asked questions at the end. How about that for a sixth grade essay. All in all the experience was a great one and at that moment I felt that I would be a writer from that day on. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment