Followers

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

They Say/ I Say Pg. 15 Question #2

The introduction to "They say/ I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein provide templates designed to help translate a composers ideas into a written work of art in  the nature of clarity to its audience(s). Specifically, Graff and Berkenstein argue that the types of writing templates they offer have a more interesting and creatively open version that can be used in the majority of literary environments. As the Authors themselves put it, "Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this book is its presentation of many such templates, designed to help you successfully not only enter the world of academic thinking and writing, but also the wider worlds of civic discourse and work. According to this view, this will help the reader not only display this expression in the template but also in their own translation of the template also. In sum then, the issue is whether this ideas will really work or not. Above that, if it does work... to what degree or limitations. These issues are important because the fact needs to be clarified to us users of how effective these templates will really be in continuous use.

My own view is that I would love to have an effective set of writing templates that help my to monitor and decipher the really important questions that need to be asked. Though I feel that these can be seen as the easy way out of some very sticky writing situations, I still maintain that should they prove to be effective I will out them to geed use on a regular basis. Although some may say feel that using the templates will decrease my critical thinking abilities, I would reply that they may open my creative and critical thinking abilities to something more effective, time. This use of time is important because it will allow me to create and recreate my true thoughts, opinions, arguments and suggestions freely and effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment